07 August 2006

Proverbs for nothing, and your Bridges for free!

by Dan Phillips

[internal dialogue]
Am I still even capable of doing a short post? Let's see... {deep breath, cracking knuckles}
[/internal dialogue]

Most regular readers know I'm a great lover of the Biblical book of Proverbs. I've often been asked to recommend commentaries, and have to say that there is no one commentary that I can wholeheartedly recommend. Kidner's is an excellent short commentary, Waltke's is a very good academic commentary, Duane A. Garrett is definitely worth having....

But I always say that, for devotional or preaching purposes—not exegetical!—Charles Bridges is hard to beat. I'm not even certain Bridges knew Hebrew (a big minus), but he'll remark on the English text, and then give brilliant illustrations of the principle straight from the Bible. Plus he's often eminently quotable.

Now he's available online, for free!

You can view it as a web page (not great), or download it as a Word document (better, but not too pretty) or an Adobe document (best).

This is one of many resources available at the site of Gordon professor Dr. Ted Hildebrandt. He seems to have a truckload of other goodies available online as well. Check it out.

Dan Phillips's signature

12 comments:

Lee Shelton said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Dan. I'll check it out. Proverbs is one of those books you just don't hear too much about anymore.

Kim said...

Oh, cool! I just started reading Proverbs. I'm going to read one every day until the end of the year and see if anything sinks in after all that time!

DJP said...

Having said all that, the Banner of Truth edition is well-bound and a must, if you too are an obsessive book-marker.

Anonymous said...

Only 655 pages? That's it? I don't know what I'm gonna do with all that extra time left over. Maybe I could staple a few copies of Moby Dick to the back...

Seriously, thank you Dan!

Carrie said...

Nice SHORT post. Of course you linked to an incredibly long document, but we won't count that.

Kay said...

I feel your posts are getting too terse. There's no depth...


;-)

DJP said...

Great tag-teaming, you two.

Anonymous said...

I read Pyro every day--I was, seriously, just about to post to the RBF discussion list to ask for recommendations on Proverbs commentaries!--Thank you so much for posting this!

Keep up the great blog...

DJP said...

...recommendations on Proverbs commentaries!--

Mine, when I write it.

(Won't help you much now!)

danny2 said...

sweet, i love hildebrandt.

scary smart man.

which of course, meant he left my alma mater.

Steven Dresen said...

djp,

I've got a great suggestion for a post, maybe even a book, on the scandal of the Christian book publishing industry, I'd do it myself but being a college student puts a hamper on what I can do.

Tom said...

This is a treasure indeed! I have the Banner of Truth edition, but have always wanted an electronic edition for cut and paste and search capability. Finally, I have one - and it's FREE!

Thanks a lot for the link. I have been been looking for this and you've helped me find it.