08 May 2006

A quickie

Picking the N. T. Wright scab one more time
by Phil Johnson

If I had any kind of clout, I would use every means available to try to induce Carl Trueman to write for PyroManiacs. I've never met Carl, but aside from his musical tastes (which seem as eclectic as mine, but in a totally different direction), he seems like the kind of guy I would never tire of listening to.

Carl writes for the reformation21 blog. You ought to read that blog, even though the experience is sometimes more like eavesdropping on a private conversation—mainly because of all the inside jokes and pseudonyms. Following threads is hard, because these guys don't ever use links, comments, or clear references to previous posts. (It's sort of like the Boar's Head without any booze or bad theology.) So it takes a little effort to follow the conversation. I don't always get it. But it's worth the effort to try.

Anyway, here are two comments in a thread begun by Trueman that perfectly and succinctly express one of the main complaints many of us have with the reflex response we get whenever we dare to express any kind of disagreement with Bishop N. T. Wright:

Read this and this.

Be sure also to read the thread started by Trueman's post on satire and humour over at reformation21.

All they need over there now is some comic-book art.

Phil's signature

15 comments:

Kim said...

Ugh! Phil.... only a boy would use the phrase "picking the NT Wright scab one more time." It sounds eerily like something my 11 year old might come up with some day!

I know I'm just being a girl.

Kim said...

I hope you know I'm not being critical of your title; it certainly got my attention.

Phil Johnson said...

Kim:

Darlene's response was exactly the same: "Ugh!"

She was going to try to talk me into changing it, but the phone rang and she got distracted. Now it's too late. So I thank you for your comment.

Darlene said...

...note to self..when proofreading important blog...don't answer ringing phone!

Momo said...

To the other Pyros: please don't try posting right over the top of Phil on his own blog unless your last name is "Spurgeon."

To Phil: I absolutely love the new pics and can't wait to post again so I can use five or six of them.

Carla Rolfe said...

Oh Phil...

after landing on your strange foods site over the weekend, your title for this post didn't really surprise me. Gross? Why yes it was, but it was appropriate.

It makes me wonder though...

Many ECM folks seem to hold Wright up as some kind of hero. Oddly enough, the words of Anna Nymous ring quite accurate of the ECM folks as well.

This constant "you don't/can't/won't/never will understand us!" has been a rallying cry from this camp since the very first email I received nearly 2 years ago when I first wrote about it.

Is there some kind of twisted-humility thing going on with being able to lament about not being understood?

Again, just wondering. Now put a band-aid on that thing, it's looking sort of angry.

:o)
Carla

Screaming Pirate said...

As a guy, I would like to whole heartedly endorse your sub-title. It fits perfectly.(*gives you an internet high-five)

***WARNING THE FOLLOWING IS NOT FOR THE PEOPLE THAT WENT,"UGH!", AT THE SUB-TITLE.

Now the question is it going to puss up or bleed?

FX Turk said...

Phil:

I'm just glad you didn't get entangled in a controversy over using gross language. You would never get that book done.

Kim said...

Screaming Pirate:

You just robbed me of the desire I had to eat the cookie beside me.

Solameanie said...

I am waiting for some more classic words to be used such as "pustule," "blemish," "furuncle," "eruption," "carbuncle," etc. Along with this we can use words such as "kerfuffle," "flap," "row," "donnybrook," "flapdoodle," and "Katie Bar The Door."

Just don't use terms like "popinjay," "martinet" or "poltroon." Those might result in a resurrection of the Code Duello.

Okay, I'll stop now. I don't want to have to pay royalties to Stridex or Clearasil.

IB Dubbya said...

Come on! Is homey's name (Carl's coextempraire) really 'Iwana Tarrenfetherem,' or am I just so "out of touch" to even be asking???

¡sbgtfa!

IB Dubbya said...

BTW ~ extempraire: somebody who makes things up.

(...I weeeild this mighty sword called Language...)

¡sbgtfa!

marc said...

Phil,
I for one am offended when so-called Christians go around satarizing and using humor to make theological points. You of all people should not be endorsing or linking to this kind of thing.

Deeply Saddened,
Marc

Solameanie said...

Marc,

I think you need to re-read Scripture and see how satire/sarcasm was used to make spiritual/theological points. Do you think the Prophet Elijah sinned against the Lord when he mocked the false prophets of Baal? Did Paul sin when he wished those false teachers troubling the Galatian church would "mutilate themselves?"

Of course, these examples do not give us carte blanche to be nasty, but at times it IS called for. Phil has done nothing wrong whatsoever. Get a grip.

marc said...

hehehehhheh. I love newbies.