13 June 2011

The Indignity of Doubt

Your weekly dose of Spurgeon
posted by Phil Johnson




The PyroManiacs devote some space each weekend to highlights from The Spurgeon Archive. The following excerpt is from "Fear Not!"—a sermon preached Sunday Morning 4 October 1857 at the Music Hall, Royal Surrey Gardens.




oubt not the Lord, O Christian; for in so doing thou dost lower thyself. The more thou believest, the greater thou art; but the more thou doubtest, the less thou becomest.

It was said of the world's conqueror, that when he was sick, he puled [whined weakly] like a child. "Give me some drink," cried one, like a sick girl, it was said to his dishonor. And is it not to the dishonor of a Christian, who lives in secret on his God, and professes to trust alone in him, that he cannot trust him; that a little child will overcome his faith?

Oh, poor cockle-shell boat, that is upset by a rain-drop! O poor puny Christian that is overcome by every straw, that stumbles at every stone!

Then, Christian men, behave like men! It is childish to doubt; it is manhood's glory to trust. Plant your foot upon the immoveable Rock of Ages; lift your eye to heaven; scorn the world; never play craven; bend your fist in the world's face, and bid defiance to it and hell, and you are a man, and noble. But crouch and cringe, and dread, and doubt, and you have lost your Christian dignity, and are no longer what you should be. You do not honor God.

"Fear not, thou worm Jacob; I will help thee, saith the LORD." Then why shouldst thou fear?

C. H. Spurgeon


9 comments:

donsands said...

Sometimes we need to hear a stern rebuke, don't we.

I watched Grand Torino the other night, and as Clint was rebuking the young asian lad, (with over-the-top and salty words), I thought don't we need that sometimes. In the end Clint loved this lad, and perhaps he loved him to begin with.

I heard a song by Steven Curtis Chapman today, "The Fingerprints of God", which is a good song. But I thought of myself, and thought I need the knuckleprints of God to mould me, at times.

I do believe in our Lord, and His word, but I pray He would help my unbeif at times as well.

Thanks for the Spurgeon. And what a great phot of the young prince of preachers.

Solameanie said...

Have to chuckle at reading the Scripture reference -- not at the Scripture, mind you -- but rather of what it reminds me. Winston Churchill was once reminded that human beings are but worms. He allegedly replied, Yes, but I do believe that I am a glowworm."

~Mark said...

This is very encouraging! It is so refreshing when I hear a pastor, or in fact, any Christian, speak with the confidence that God is real and meant what He said! 8-)

I look forward to the day I respond that way all the time.

Anonymous said...

"Then, Christian men, behave like men!"

Amen Amen Amen Amen!

CT

Steve Berven said...

Wow. Perfect. I really needed this today. Thank you.

mikew116 said...

Another needed reminder from Spurgeon. Thanks for posting, that was good.

Anonymous said...

I just keep reading this over and over!

CGrim said...

This'll wake you up in the morning!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Phil for posting these excerpts from Spurgeon! I'm trying to make it somewhat of a habit to read more from Spuregon, and you make it really easy for me.