19 September 2014

Some here, some there — September 19, 2014

by Dan Phillips

Howdy gang. Short post to start the day; as usual, check back at end.

  • Did you know that Logos software now offers a Pentecostal & Charismatic base package? To anticipate your question, as far as I know, it does not uninstall your Bibles.
  • Whether it unlocks them so that you can add chapters and books and all? Not sure.
  • Aimee Byrd offers some good thoughts about friendships, particularly betwixt men.
  • No, I'm not "gay." Thanks for asking.
  • Some guy named Rick Joyner claimed to have spent 8 hours in heaven, which he then generously promised to share about on TV and at a conference. He says it's important stuff Christians need to know (and, presumably, can't find sufficiently in our Bibles). At this noting, 3,226 souls "liked" this announcement.
  • I say this is exactly why Strange Fire was needed, and why Sufficient Fire is needed.
  • Too long for Twitter: In his NAC commentary on Matthew (p. 142f.), Craig Blomberg quotes F. D. Bruner: "Hell is not a doctrine used to frighten unbelievers; it is a doctrine used to warn those who think themselves believers.”
  • Craig Blomberg, Matthew, vol. 22, The New American Commentary (Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1992), 142–143.
  • Over at Theologically Driven, Ben Edwards also notes the problem of squishiness in Gospel Issues and Weighing Doctrines.
  • Without setting out to do so, after last Sunday's sermon I realized I'd preached what was at the same time one of the most pedal-to-the-metal Calvinist and pedal-to-the-metal evangelistic sermons I ever recall preaching. One of the issues on which I spent some expository time was whether faith causes, or results from, regeneration.
  • I say that to say this: Mark Snoeberger broaches that same issue over at the DTBS blog, to make the point that there is no middle ground on it.
Dan Phillips's signature


Michael Coughlin said...

Fun times, as always.

Webster Hunt said...

I'll be listening up to your sermon today.
I saw the kind Mr. Joyner had no time to respond to the likes of naysayers like you. Oh well. It is a day ending in "Y" after all.
The uninstalling of Bibles for the Charis* edition of Logos is supposed to be coming in the expansion pak (yes, Charismatics need an expansion pak), or at least that's the rumor I started.

Robert Warren said...

I checked out the Logos Charismatic Silver package, thinking there might be an expanded section on Montanus in the Church History section, but it consisted of a lot stuff about George Mueller. Wow, I didn't know church history went all the way back to the 19th century!
I have a bunch of Hayford stuff in Logos, evidently from some package I had bought some years ago. I hid all of it except the Spirit Filled Study Bible, so that I might benefit from: Marilyn Hickey, Frederick Price, Oral Roberts, Pat Robertson...yes, the giants of exegesis.

Pagey said...

Thanks Dan. I've always enjoyed "Hither and Some There". (But rarely have anything intelligent to say - c.f. this comment.)

I've Pocketed the Time Management link with my list of 2374 other links that I'll eventually get round to reading.

Thanks for not publishing my earlier out-of-bounds comment. I forgot the rules for a minute there and regretted it afterwards. (Our little secret, right?)


Solameanie said...

The Bruner quote is worth the price of admission.