29 November 2011

Two new World-Tilting Gospel projects, and a thank-you

by Dan Phillips

Howdy, gang. You'll recall we had fun picking the cover for the (then-future) book; now, I'm soliciting your input and help (respectively) for two more projects related to The World-Tilting Gospel. First...

Study Guide
(or: Help Me Help You)

A number of you have commented and emailed and Tweeted, asking for a Study Guide for The World-Tilting Gospel. You asked, so you shall receive, DV: I plan to get to work on one.

Since I want to meet your needs the best I can, I'm soliciting your input. So tell me, you who want a Study Guide for TWTG, any and all of the following:
  1. What features are you most looking for?
  2. What are examples of the best study guides you've used? What makes them great?
  3. What are examples of the worst study guides you've used? (No need to name them, I'm not wanting to rip on anyone.) What causeth them to stinketh?
  4. How do you plan to use it?
  5. Do you prefer a book with blank lines, blank spaces, or neither (i.e. just write in a separate book)?
  6. The World-Tilting Gospel is being read with profit by folks literally from eight to eighty-eight, from all levels of education. That being the case, it is conceivable (but not guaranteed) that I might prepare different study guides for different groups. Would you make any particular use of any particular focus?
Web page

Now here, I just need a straight-out volunteer. I'm looking to produce a page to continue to expand visibility. The more you bring to this, the more better. If you've done book pages, can host, are ready to go — hey, if I don't ask, you won't know that I'm looking for it.

I expect it will feature links to reviews, endorsements, excerpts, and contact information for conferences or guest preaching.

You probably don't want to broadcast your willingness, so please just email me: filops, then @, then yahoo.com. Tell me what you propose, and maybe link to some of your previous work.

And finally, at no extra cost:

Thank you!

Every bit of feedback I've received from folks who don't already have issues with the Gospel has been positive, humbling, encouraging. You see in this book an accessible celebration of the glorious Gospel of Christ in its components, its sweep, and its implications. You've said that it's understandable, without any dumbing-down. You want to see pastors and churches use it, you want to see your friends and family read it.

Your encouragement means more to me than I can express. Thank you.

Many of you wish you had larger platforms so that you could tell others about the book, and you wonder why those who do have such platforms — and who love the Gospel and want to see it better-grasped, better-understood, better-lived and better-preached — haven't done so yet. But you are doing what you can do, and that means everything to me. Keep it up.

You've used your blogs, your Twitter account; you've bought copies for friends, pastors, teachers, relatives. A pastor bought a box of a hundred copies to give to every family in his church, present and future. Others are using it for studies, or planning to do so. A father was reading through it with his teenage son; another reader's eighty-eight year old mother is reading it, and re-reading it.

All this, and the book's only been out for about four months!

You who've written and encouraged me live in America, Canada, England, Honduras, Scotland, Australia, South Africa... and I apologize if I've forgotten anyone! The book has endorsements from PhD's like Lig Duncan, Jim Hamilton, Rob Plummer... and it's been reviewed by an eight-year-old! Those reading and reviewing and recommending include sisters here, sisters there, sisters somewhere, brothers who are pastors, brothers who aren't, Jay Adams — all sorts.

It's amazing and humbling to me and again, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

God grant that others see what you see, or that they listen to you when you tell them; may God use this book to His glory, to lift up Christ's name, to edify His church, and to make His Gospel clear and compelling to those He whose world He has yet to tilt.
Thanks! Fun times!

Dan Phillips's signature

16 comments:

Robert said...

1. I'm looking for some probing questions to see if things have really sunk in and to make people think.

I'm also looking for Scripture references (just like the book has) to keep people focused on God's Word.

Lastly, I'm looking for some practical apologetics to bring names to the different beliefs you cover in the book and help people to identify religions with the wrong worldviews you mention.

2. I'm mainly speaking from study guides my wife has used in her women's groups. The study guide for "Respectable Sins" is good...a lot of good thought on practical matters there (although that makes sense with the object of study). There is also a "Lifechange Series" set of Bible study guides that is very good. It asks a lot of good questions that make you think about Scripture and has lots of space to write in it.

3. The worst study guides just offer review without much thought. Kind of like a pop quiz where you can just study well and do OK.

4. I plan to use it with my family and maybe for a small group study with some people from church (all adults from 30's to 60's).

5. I prefer blank lines and spaces in the margins. I like to have it all in one place - questions and answers together and all.

6. I'd like one suitable for my children, as well as one for adults. Of course, one for youth and college kids would be good as well.

I hope this helps and that many people benefit from study guides for TWTG.

FX Turk said...

Dan probably doesn't know anybody who has designed about 2-dozen Blogger templates, has created blogger template plug-ins, and also has produced a very useful blog on how to use GiMP.

He's sunk on that website thing.

DJP said...

Alternate interpretation: Dan doesn't like being the sort of guy whose every knock on the door means he's about to ask a longsuffering dearly-loved friend for FAVOR #49763 in a seemingly endless series.

FX Turk said...

Think of the payback I'll get in heaven for my sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a study guide, for sure.

I don't have much to say about what should be in it, but I hate study guides that have space to write, since that inevitably means they only get used once...

No need to provide writing space, I don't think. I see study guides as more thinking/discussing guide, rather than a school work-book type thing.

HSAT, I would most likely buy one, regardless of how you decided to put it together since I'm not too good at coming up with the kinds of questions that a good study guide provides.

J♥Yce Burrows said...

Dan, am currently studying about shepherds and sheep(animals) considering the relationship of believers as sheep with their Shepherd. This morning read a MacArthur message, Jesus: A Good Man or a Deceiver. Funny(not really) how God works as your post went live just a few minutes ago as thoughts swirled.

1. What features? What fulfills these thoughts from that MacArthur message: "...shepherds don't beget sheep. Sheep begat sheep, right?....We need Christians who confront the world, those who really know the Word of God and can reproduce themselves....We need rule of discipleship....Make your time count."

2. Examples of best? I appreciate MacArthur's study guides and any of a same color. Why? Because they make me put off the mind of Joyce alone to think with the mind of Christ...to dig in God's Word for those details oft passed by or swept under. Truth matters.

3. worst? Those that focus on anything and everything human generated. Grasping temporal. Missing holiness.

4. Use it? To slow down rather than Wonder-Woman ziiiiiiip read.

5. Extraneous notes...sometimes on paper, sometimes in the brain HD. Used to write in books and that turned scattered...up the margin, between the lines. What about the study guide being in 3-ring notebook/binder style with lined paper included for readers to determine jotting length and then pop notes in at end of chapters for reference? or removal in the event of "on the spot of the moment" book sharing with personal replacement?

6. Like to have horizons challenged as the Good Lord puts me with varied folks, youngster to seasoned with a myriad of education backgrounds and life roles sooooo would rather have an integrated guide rather than by age or focus group.


Hope this helps; God bless you as you bless others through these projects!

Pam said...

I would love a study guide for a ladies Bible class, for those who have been in the faith for a long time and for those who are babes in Christ. Well, i guess a guide for either men or women would be great. Thanks for considering it.

What Daryl said, dittos.

Family Blogs said...

Study guide? Yes please!!!

I have a few ideas which I'll email to you rather than sending your comment readers into Standby Mode.

Avelyn said...

Is TWTG available in Singapore yet?

DJP said...

The Book Depository says it gives free shipping worldwide. They specifically list Singapore. You can find their listing for TWTG here, and the Proverbs book here.

Thanks for asking.

Pastor Jason said...

What I am looking for in a Bible study would be something that can be used in a small group or Sunday School setting. Ideally a study that clarifies the points of each book chapter and then presses deeper into the subject matter than maybe time would allow. In other words, I love the studies that develop the teaching of each chapter in more depth than the chapter itself.

Questions and blank lines are helpful...

Some good examples, Mike Sarkissian has a study with his book "Before God: The Biblical Doctrine of Prayer" that was awesome. It was fantastic!

Most study guides tend to just re-ask questions that the book already answered or questions that are yes or no and require little to no further thought... those are my least favorite...

Mike Weaks said...

My daughter in Mexico received a shipment of books from the Book Depository which included W-TG. Took about a month, but the shipping was free. Each book was shipped separately...

JG said...

The Bible studies I've most enjoyed involved a good amount of writing, but that's because I retain things better when I write them out. I prefer the workbook style. :) I guess it's annoying to other people, but, for example, when it starts with a foundation verse, and then I write out cross-referenced verses, that's helpful. Also with lines/blanks to answer any of the reflection or discussion questions. Like I say, I learn by writing, and even when I'm studying a book with a group, being able to write things out from the study before meeting with the group is most helpful.

Frankly, I think I'll just be excited to see whatever you come up with. I've already got TWTG out on loan to a friend and I'm already looking forward to being able to start a study group.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Honestly, I'm not one to comment here since personally I don't really care for helps per se. I like challenges and God has given us all we need -the Holy Spirit and His word. On the other hand I do love the interaction with other believers in small groups and growing in the Lord.

One thing I would add unless you have this already would be to challenge people with the ~(why question)~ after they've read a Proverb. This inhibits spoon-feeding and challenges them growth as individuals. I realize there are some Proverbs that we need teachers to explain to us because they are simply too hard to understand.
I like to find the gems with God teaching me of course because it's way more meaningful and personal in my walk with Christ which in turn challenge me to apply them to my life

For example: One Proverb I memorized and just simply could not understand for a long time-probably months, was this one:

I kept asking God "why" does a patient man have great understanding?

finally one day while praying this verse came up and I believe God gave me the answer

"A patient man has great understanding but a quick tempered man displays his folly"-Proverbs 14:29

I understand it to mean—(that the reason why a patient man has great understanding is because He is trusting God and the reason why a quick-tempered man displays his folly is because he is trusting in himself
--Our lack of patience is evidence that we are trusting in our own foolishness.

I was able to apply that to my life in a more profound meaningful way and in so doing his joy, peace and worshiping the Lord has taught me to have more confidence and patience in Him and less in myself~~

Eric said...

Loving the book! What would really be nice in a study guide is for it to be in .pdf format so that individual guides don't need to be purchased. I would be willing to pay more for the right to make copies. It is really hard to plan for how many might attend/continue in a small group or Sunday School format. Also, many times people show up in the middle of a study or class, which makes purchasing new books/guides cumbersome. Thanks again for your great contribution to the Body of Christ.
In Him,
Pastor Eric Mason