19 August 2012

Physicians Of No Value

Your weekly dose of Spurgeon
The PyroManiacs devote some space each weekend to highlights from the lifetime of works from the Prince of Preachers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon.  The following excerpt is from The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, volume 36, sermon number 2,130, "The Deceitfulness of Sin."

“Few are tired of talking, but many are wearied with hearing.”

The text itself says, "Exhort one another daily"; from which I gather two lessons. First, hear exhortation from others; and, secondly, practise exhortation to others. I have known people of this kind, that if a word is spoken to them, however gently, as to a wrong which they are doing, their temper is up in a moment. Who are they that they should be spoken to? Dear friend, who are you that you should not be spoken to? Are you such an off-cast and such an outcast that your Christian brethren must give you up? Surely you do not want to bear that character. I have even known persons take offence because the word has been spoken from the pulpit too pointedly. This is to take offence where we ought to show gratitude.

“Oh,” says one, “I will never hear that man again! He is too personal.” What kind of a man would you like to hear? Will you give your ear to one who will please you to your ruin, and flatter you to your destruction? Surely, you are not so foolish? Do you choose that kind of doctor who never tells you the truth about your bodily health? Do you trust one who falsely assured you that there was nothing the matter with you when all the while a terrible disease was folding its cruel arms about you? Your doctor would not hurt your feelings. He washes his hands with invisible soap, and gives you a portion of the same. He will send you just a little pill, and you will be all right. He would not have you think of that painful operation which a certain surgeon has suggested to you. He smirks and smiles, until, after a little while of him and his pills, you say to yourself, “I am getting worse and worse, and yet he smiles, and smiles, and flatters and soothes me. I will have done with him and his little pills, and go to one who will examine me honestly, and treat me properly. He may take his soap and his smile elsewhere.” O sirs, believe me, I would think it a waste of time, nay, a crime like that of murder, to stand here and prophesy smooth things to you. We must all learn to hear what we do not like. The question is not, “Is it pleasant?” but, “Is it true?”





7 comments:

donsands said...

These words about hearing the truth are hard words themselves.

I do love the truth because the Truth called my name and lives in me.
And yet, it is so true when I hear the truth of my sin and my shortcomings, I surely do throw forth a wall of changing the subject, and even mild manipulations.

Thank You Lord for Your truth, and for Your Spirit, and for the Church, where I can be disciplined when necessary. Amen.

Linda said...

“Few are tired of talking, but many are wearied with hearing.”

this is a very apt statement for me as I've had this strange conviction for the past 2 weeks or so to learn to listen more.. To really LISTEN and not be a know it all for me stings but it's true.

I also believe that too many Christians are afraid of hurting fellow believers when they really need to speak UP and clear matters..

Pro 27:6 "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Thanks for this it's a wonderful and timeless Spurgeon

Jared T. Baergen said...

I have known people of this kind, that if a word is spoken to them, however gently, as to a wrong which they are doing, their temper is up in a moment. Who are they that they should be spoken to?

I must admit that this is a strike against my pride; a good and necessary strike, but a strike nonetheless. I love Spurgeon. Now I must remember his exhortation:

Dear friend, who are you that you should not be spoken to?

Kerry James Allen said...

Jared, as I try to remind myself constantly, none of us take correction very well, and I am one of them.

Linda said...

Pro 17:10 "A rebuke impresses a man of discernment more than a hundred lashes a fool."

TmanTroy said...

I think the church fails at this big time! The new John 3:16 is Matt 7:1!

Kerry James Allen said...

"And don't you judge me about how I want to apply Matthew 7:1!"