28 July 2013

Persecution's perks

Your weekly dose of Spurgeon
The PyroManiacs devote some space each weekend to highlights from the lifetime of works from the Prince of Preachers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon.  The following excerpt is from The Sword and the Trowel, August, 1894, "A life-belt for daily use."
"If your persecution were to cease, it might be the worst thing that could happen to you." 

I knew right well a young man, in a good station in life, a believer, apparently a very earnest believer, and the most indefatigable worker I ever met. He was constantly opposed at home on account of his religion, yet he never yielded an inch, but kept on earnestly working for Christ.

The opposition is all gone, and he has a house of his own; but I do not see any earnestness in him now, it disappeared as soon as the persecution ceased.

Some of us are very much like those gas bags that we have when we are exhibiting dissolving views; we put heavy weights on them to press out the gas so that we many have a more brilliant light. I do believe that most of our troubles at home and abroad are just like the weights on the oxygen bags.

I am not disposed to wish that every young Christian should have a smooth path, for I notice that the bravest believers are often those who have had the severest struggles to maintain their integrity. “It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.”

If you have too much fine weather, you will be like some gardeners' plants that grow too fast; they never get much heart, they had too much sun at the first, they would have been all the better for a little early nipping. You know that celery is not really good till it has had a sharp frost on it, and there are some Christians who seem all the better for a little persecution or trial; it seems to pinch them back, and at the same time it sends a sweetness into the very heart of their religion.

If you ask me, “Do you like to hear of our being opposed?” I answer, —“No, I do not; but I would not take this burden off you if I could, for it is best that you should have at least a little of it to bear.”

To be truly saved, to be a Christian, to be on Christ’s side, to know that you have an everlasting Saviour, is worth a great many fools’ laughs, is it not? You can bear to let all the asses bray at once, and yet not be troubled if you know that you have Christ, and eternal life in Him.

My dear friends, I do pray that you may be led to weigh and estimate these things, and that you may be drawn by the Divine Spirit to say, “Jesus shall be mine, I will trust myself to Him whatever the consequences may be.”




2 comments:

Ed Dingess said...

I knew there had to be something good, something positive, something very beneficial about persecution when I read how Jesus told us to rejoice and then when I read that the apostles actually did rejoice in the face of it. :-)

donsands said...

Brother Charles is always good to hear from. Thanks for the post. I actually watched a DVD of his life last night. It was very good, and what a life this man lived for his Lord and Savior.

I pray I would rejoice in that my name is written in heaven, because I am crucified with Jesus, and nothing can alter this most magnificient truth.