02 August 2015

Liberty not licence

Your weekly Dose of Spurgeon
The PyroManiacs devote some space each weekend to highlights from the lifetime of works from the Prince of Preachers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon.  The following excerpt is from The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, volume 12, sermon number 689, "Temptations on the pinnacle."
"Holy Scripture is full of narratives of temptations; expect, therefore, Christian, that your life will be as abundantly garnished with them as a rose with thorns."

Brethren, it is a precious doctrine that the saints are safe, but it is a damnable inference from it, that therefore they may live as they list. It is a glorious truth that God will keep his people, but it is an abominable falsehood that sin will do them no harm.

Remember that God gives us liberty, not licence, and while he gives us protection he will not allow us presumption.

I knew a person once when I was a child, I remember seeing him go into a country wake in a little village where I lived, though he was a professed Christian, going to spend the evening in a dancing booth, and with others drinking as other men did, and when I in my warm zeal said to him, “What doest thou here, Elijah?” his reply was, “I am a child of God, and I can go where I like and yet be safe.”

And though for the moment I knew not what text to quote to answer him, yet my soul revolted from the man ever afterwards, for I felt that no child of God would ever be so wicked as to take poison in the faith that his Father would give him the antidote, or thrust himself into the fire, in the hope that he should not be burned.

 If God sends me trouble he will yield me deliverance from it, but if I make trouble myself I must bear it. If Providence permits the devil to set me upon a pinnacle, even then God will help me, but if I throw myself down and go in the very teeth of Providence, then woe unto me, for I give proof by my presumption that the grace of God is not in me at all.

2 comments:

Michael Coughlin said...

Amen!

donsands said...

There are times my sin will be stronger than God's grace. At the time, it is my flesh, the world, and the devils in this world who win, and I lose. But God, who loves me always seems to bring me back, with many tears, and regrets, and I tell my Lord, that "I am sorry, thank You for the forgiveness of Your Cross." I ask that He would make my heart and soul full of His spiritual fruit, and make me less foolish, and given in to my flesh, so that I can be His light in a dark world.

Charles is right on as usual. Thanks for the post.