07 June 2009

Hold Your Cup Steady

Your weekly dose of Spurgeon
posted by Phil Johnson

The PyroManiacs devote some space each weekend to highlights from The Spurgeon Archive. The following excerpt is from a sermon titled "The Overflowing Cup."


he grateful heart runs over because the fountain of grace runs over.



Keep your cup where it is. It is our unwisdom that we forsake the fountain of living waters and apply to the world's broken cisterns. We say in the old proverb, "Let well alone," but we forget this practical maxim with regard to the highest good.

If your cup runs over hear Christ say, "Abide in me." David had a mind to keep his cup where it was, and he said, "I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

When I preach abroad I always like to go to the same house in the town, and I say to my host, "I shall always come to you, as long as you invite me, for I do not think there is a better house." If a man has a good friend, it is a pity to change him, the older the friend the better. The bird which has a good nest had better keep to it. Gad not abroad, I charge you, but let the Lord be your dwelling-place for ever.

Many have been fascinated by new notions and new doctrines, and every now and then somebody tells us he has found a wonderful diamond of new truth, but which generally turns out to be a piece of an old bottle: as for me, I want nothing new, for the old is better, and my heart cries, "Return unto thy rest, O my soul, for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee."

Until they find me a better fountain than the Lord has opened in Christ Jesus his Son any soul will abide in her old place, and plunge her pitcher into the living waters. Where my cup is filled there shall it stand, and run over still.

C. H. Spurgeon


3 comments:

Solameanie said...

"Gad not abroad . . . "

This was a wonderful clip from Spurgeon. And as usual, how pertinent to today's situation.

Boaly said...

Brilliant

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for your weekly dose of Spurgeon. This one is most excellent - no surprise.