12 September 2009

Christian, Be a Nuisance to the World

Your weekly dose of Spurgeon
posted by Phil Johnson



The PyroManiacs devote some space each weekend to highlights from The Spurgeon Archive. The following excerpt is from "The Incomparable Bridegroom and His Bride," a sermon preached on Sunday evening, 10 June 1866, at the Met Tab.


hristians, be troublesome to the world! O house of Israel, be like a burdensome stone to the world! You are not sent here to be recognized as honorable citizens of this world, to be petted and well-treated.

Even Christ himself, the peaceable One, said, "I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?"

What I mean is this, we are not to be quiet about our religion. The world says to us, "Hold your tongue about religion, or at least talk about it at fit times; but do not introduce it at all seasons so as to become a pest and a nuisance."

I say again, and you know in what sense I mean it, be a nuisance to the world; be such a man that worldlings will be compelled to feel that there is a Christian in their midst.

An officer was walking out of the royal presence on one occasion, when he tripped over his sword. The king said to him, "Your sword is rather a nuisance." "Yes," was the officer's reply, "your majesty's enemies have often said so."

May you be a nuisance to the world in that sense, troublesome to the enemies of the King of kings! While your conduct should be courteous, and everything that could be desired as between man and man, yet let your testimony for Christ be given without any flinching and without any mincing of the matter.

C. H. Spurgeon


6 comments:

Scottj said...

Thank you for posting this on Saturday. I often wished Spurgeon's quotes would come before Sunday.

I appreciate the ministry here.

donsands said...

"..be such a man that worldlings will be compelled to feel that there is a Christian in their midst."

How I long to be seen as a genuine Christian; a biblical Christian.

Love that word, worldlings. Reminds of something Tolkien might say.

Thanks for the powerful post.

Desia said...

Wow...to be able to say it so well; this is the encouragement I needed today.ziz

Stefan Ewing said...

I need this reminder every day before I go to work, to be salt and light to my co-workers and fellow bus-riding commuters.

It's too easy to fall into the same daze day in and day out, just trying to keep to oneself and get through the day.

-M said...

Thanks for the post--this works great with my lesson tomorrow--haven't had a Spurgeon moment in a while--this hits the spot.

Julius Mickel said...

this HIT the nail on a subject me and an elder had today.
Oh how different our opinions on evangelism and such would be if only we lived with an eye to eternity.
May God raise up more ministers like Spurgeon who in the nitty gritty matters (like evangelism) could say 'follow me, as I follow Christ'