17 May 2011

The World-Tilting Gospel available for pre-order... in case, you know, you're interested

by Dan Phillips

You will, I hope, forgive me this:

For anyone who cares, you can pre-order a copy of The World-Tilting Gospel (set for release August 1, 2011) by some no-name, online.


I know of the following locations:
August 1 seems like a long way off to me.

So now, in the hopes of having something of interest or value for everyone, a flurry of variouses:
  1. Thank you to Phil, without whose generosity I'd not have the megaphone of this blog, nor the opportunity of reaching still further with the message of this book.
  2. Thank you to Frank, for accepting it as his personal ministry to make sure none of this (or anything else) goes to my head. And for being an example of sharp, incisive, Gospel-aimed thinking and writing.
  3. Thank you to all of you, our readers. That's you! You gave the initial announcement of this book a welcome I'll never forget. (In fact, I'm developing one of those titles into a book-proposal.) And then your voices were very helpful in picking the cover for the book.
  4. Let me flog that one just a tad more: please know that I don't take any of your kind words for granted, or your encouragement or your prayers. You have been very cheering, very generous. I can't express how frighteningly humbling it is each time someone says she or he has pre-ordered a copy, sight-unseen, not having read so much as a word or a single review. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
  5. Thank you to my generous endorsers, who took the time to look the book over and offer their verbal thumbs-ups: Phil Johnson, Lig Duncan, Jim Hamilton, Chris Brauns, Rob Plummer, Brian and Janet Rickett, and this one other guy... oh, what's his name? Preacher. Kills me that I can't think of it...  Oh well, it'll come to me. You may never have heard of him anyway. Regardless, their endorsement is eloquent testimony to their generosity and graciousness, and I am in their debt.
  6. The book has other thanks inside as well, as you'll see in August, DV.
This process has been a real education. When Brian Thomasson approached me to propose a book, years ago, he suggested maybe basing something on the post on sarkicophobia. So I went there, took that, and stepped back for a broader look, framing that post in terms of the Gospel. But that "broader look" led me to something I had heard David Wells say years earlier, about the reason why the Bible did not start at John 3:16, but at Genesis 1:1.

Thus was born the core idea of the book: framing the Gospel in terms of the whole Bible, beginning at the beginning, tracing our way through God's plan of the ages in Christ, right down to the personal, street-level connection and impact of our salvation and life in Christ.

And that's how a ~1300-word post turned into a ~300-page book.

Some other time, I'll tell you a bit more about the journey from idea to book.

Dan Phillips's signature

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading it.

JackW said...

Will there be a pew book version?

;-)

Michael Lawmaster said...

And I was going to order 999,999 copies...I guess no discount. lol I will order my copy today. Congratulations Dan!

DJP said...

Thanks, Michael. By my running count, I think there's only 9,982 to go!

Jeremiah Halstead said...

my only question: did akbar make it in?

VcdeChagn said...

Congrats Dan. Already got my pre-order in as well.

As for that preacher that endorsed your book?

Rob Bell? :)

Oh, and don't answer Jeremiah's question. It's a trap!

DJP said...

Jeremiah: that's what second editions are for.

(c;

J♥Yce Burrows said...

How wonderful! Still interested after all these days ~ :-)

J♥Yce Burrows said...

p.s. May the Lord be blessed...and bless "bounteously" in all ways!

Aaron said...

People should also let Amazon know that you want it on kindle (so they'll tell the publisher).

The Squirrel said...

I pre-ordered my copy through Barnes & Nobel.

(Because i get free shipping...)

Squirrel

donsands said...

Looks great. Ligon endorses, eh. That's top notch. Not that the others are mincemeat.
I truly pray our Savior will bless His beloved with your fine book, and truths within. Amen.

Solameanie said...

Congratulations, Dan!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Hurray!

Truth Unites... and Divides said...

What??! Where are the endorsements from Rob Bell, Doug Pagitt, Jim Wallis, Donald Miller, Tony Campolo, and Brian McLaren?

DJP said...

Pending.

Anonymous said...

Shameless, self-promotion...and I thank you. We will profit by it I'm sure.

DJP said...

That is my dear and earnest hope and prayer: that God would be pleased and glorified, and His people edified.

SolaMommy said...

I found something else to put in my cart, so my order went through yesterday :-)

Robert said...

Rob Bell? Seriously, you know he is talking about Joel Osteen. I mean, he's got the largest audience, right? (him or Benny Hinn, that is)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dan!

Anonymous said...

He's talking about me, people. Gosh.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!
It's also on the UK site The Book Depository - which is great for us Aussies as well.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/World-Tilting-Gospel-Dan-Phillips/9780825439087

A.

DJP said...

Thanks, apologies. Cool about that site is that it tells how many days to go... except it's such a big number.


)c:

Hm; wonder how I'll sound in Australian?

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wascally 5Point5 said...

I just want to know where you can get an autographed copy. Is that extra?

Congratulations’