17 June 2010

Acts 29 — correcting my misstatement

by Dan Phillips

In the meta to this post, I made the fairly offhanded comment (at 8:08 AM, June 15, 2010) that there was an Acts 29 church near us, which featured the pastor's wife sharing the pulpit on occasion to give a feminine perspective.

Yesterday when I woke up I found an email from someone identifying himself as being part of Acts 29 leadership, asking me for the name of the church. He said that such pulpit-sharing as I described would not be acceptable.

So as quickly as I could, I went to double-check my memory. I wrote the pastor of the church, and went back to the web site (on my iPhone; oddly, my work blocks the site). What I found:

My statement was incorrect. The church and the pastor are both unaffiliated with Acts 29.


I apologize for the misstatement. It was unintentional, simply a matter of a faulty memory.

Here's how (I think) it happened. I corresponded briefly with the pastor of the church, to try to make sense of his wife sharing the pulpit, since their statement of faith seemed pretty complementarian. In his cordial response, he mentioned that those connected with the Acts 29 network influenced him, and he named Mark Driscoll. The web site had (what I thought was) an Acts 29 "feel." Since I decided not to visit the church, I didn't research further — and it went incorrectly into my memory as an Acts 29 church.


In yet another prompt and cordial response to my email, the pastor says he's considered joining, uses their materials, admires what they do — but they're not affiliated.

I immediately apologized and retracted, within that post's meta. Until today, I left the comment up, so as not to give the impression of sweeping it under the rug. However, I decided that it was a greater concern, coming as it did in a long meta, that someone would read the misstatement and not the later correction — and be left with the false impression my comment created.

Again, I apologize, and hope this completely sets that record straight.

Dan Phillips's signature

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused.

I thought the Pyromaniacs NEVER acknowledged being wrong.

Must get more sleep.

James Scott Bell said...

Good on you, Dan. Pyro has clout, so incorrect facts can quickly spread. You've cleared something up quickly and firmly, which is the way to do it.

Christopher said...

Same with Johnny...it is a big deal to go to, I would think, thousands of people a day, and admit that you were wrong in writing something.

Kitch said...

God "gives grace to the humble." May you find the flow of grace from His throne to your life rich and full today!

Robert said...

Dan,

Thanks for clearing this up. Iam glad to know that Acts 29 is serious about their affiliations, too.

Fred Butler said...

Well,
It wasn't like you were telling us you lived in Turkey and had debated leading Islamic scholars in 35 states and 10 countries or something.

DJP said...

I'm working up to that.

Chuck said...

No Fred-

I heard his wife was debating leading Islamic scholars.

Sven Pook said...

Good on ya, Dan;

You would think, when reading the comments by some of the trolls, that Team Pyro never admits they are wrong. :-)

Glad that I am not the only person who maks mystaykes . . . .

Now, if I can only find a church in our area that actually uses the Bible, my wife and I will love attending church again(as opposed to the Purpose Drivel that uses 10 or 12 different versions to make their point). Now we are doing so out of duty . . . .

Wait that was another post

Thank you guys for ALL THREE of those articles!!!

David Rudd said...

i know this may be off topic, but...

didn't driscoll's wife share the "pulpit" with him for some Q&A time last year?

is that different?

Tom Chantry said...

Oh Fred! Oh Fred! Stop. My sides can't take the laughter. "Daniel Mehmet Philips" - it boggles the imagination!

Chuck said...

'Daniel Mehmet Philips'

FANTASTIC.

By the way DJP, I realize that I didn't actually give you a thumbs up on the content of the post. This was good. Sorry I jumped right past the encouragement and straight into sarcasm.

Fred Butler said...

didn't driscoll's wife share the "pulpit" with him for some Q&A time last year?

is that different?


I think it depends on the situation. For example, if there is a series of messages the pastor does on (heaven forbid) courtship, dating, and marriage, it may be helpful to have a Q&A with the pastor's wife to contrast her thinking with her husbands. We have had elder's wives do this in the various fellowship groups.

FX Turk said...

Watchbloggers take note: if you're actually concerned about the truth in love, you can be just like DJP.

If you're not, just go back to what you were doing.

Nash Equilibrium said...

You should have done what I always do in such a circumstance: Blame "senior moment", senility, Alzheimers, etc.

There are darn few benefits to being this age and you've got to take advantage of them!

John said...

Dan Mehmet Philips...
and its official.

Paula Bolyard said...

It was Bush's fault.

DJP said...

Rats; I meant to bring that up.

Tom Chantry said...

We expect you to change that moniker to "DMP" forthwith.

David Regier said...

But then he'd have to say Insha'Allah instead of DV.

Aaron said...

It amazes me still further than even in making a mistake, you still manage to set an example for us.

Tom Chantry said...

David,

C'mon! This is DMP we're talking about. You know he'd abbreviate it to IA.

My word verification is "ressess," which is what this thread is beginning to remind me of.

CR said...

Stan,

I thought DJP's apology was arrogant, prideful and mean spirited. {/s}

Merrilee Stevenson said...

Take Sir Aarons words and put ditto marks under them for me.

Dan, now I have even more respect and appreciation for you for the way you handled this. Some (such as myself) might not have thought much of it or made a big deal out of it. But thank you for the example you set and for taking such care with your words and your actions!

Susan said...

1. I don't expect anything less from you, Dan. Thanks for the clarification.

2. Tom, I believe you're quite mistaken. The "M" in DMP stands for "Malkovich". :P

[/running away from Dan's wrath as fast as I can]

DJP said...

Oh my gosh.

{ repairs to the lab to concoct something fitting for Susan }

FX Turk said...

I am glad I am not the only one who draws the Malkovich conclusion when it comes to DJP.

DJP said...

Now that is a cruel cut.

DL said...

Two observations: Dan has gone out of his way to correct his mistake in the matter and it is absolutely refreshing to see such humility and it's nice to see someone from a29 be so quick to guard biblical parameters by following up.

Anonymous said...

Good for you John, er I mean Dan. Admitting and confessing our mistakes is tough. I thought I was mistaken once, but I was wrong...