31 October 2011

Book notes: international availability, study guides, electronic, and autographs

by Dan Phillips

Happy Reformation Day, boys and girls. While we're all waiting for Spurgeon, Phil, or (preferably) both, I need to squeeze these in briefly and oh-so-bumpably:
  1. International shipping. Readers in Canada, Australia, the UK and elsewhere have often asked how to get The World-Tilting Gospel and/or God's Wisdom in Proverbs internationally (A) at all, and (B) without getting buried beneath shipping costs. Thanks to a BibChr reader named Margaret, I can tell you that The Book Depository has both available, and they say free shipping to anywhere. Nice discounts, too. So check them out as follows: The World-Tilting Gospel, and God's Wisdom in Proverbs. Thanks for your interest!
  2. Study guides for TWTG. Several churches are using or planning to use The World-Tilting Gospel as an opportunity to dig into Scriptural teaching about a Gospel worldview. They have asked if there are study guides. Not yet, and not yet planned. When I asked in early days, I was told that it depends on sales. That's all I know at present; I'll let you know when I know more.
  3. Electronic versions of God's Wisdom in Proverbs. I'm told that's in the works, no timeline at present. If you want my opinion, the book has so many footnotes (yes! footnotes! not the execrable endnotes!) that it mightn't be best for Kindle. Take advantage of the 50% off sale, have one you can hold and mark up with highlights and smilies and frownies. But when I know more, I'll tell you.
  4. Autographs. Believe it or don't, explain it or can't, many asked how to get autographed copies of one or the other book. My response has always been the customary inarticulate gurgle. No more! First: I love guest-speaking, and would love to be invited to guest-preach, but of course that's not always possible for a host of reasons. So I have made a way, by renting a post office box. I'd ask you to email me, and I can give you the address. You would snail-mail the book(s) to me with any instructions about the autograph, using a package I could re-use and including full return postage (or hel-lo thrift store!).
I know the one-star haters loathe posts like this, but these are all responses to repeated questions. Thank you! to all who have asked, I appreciate it from my heart.

Now you know all that! In case anyone asks!

Dan Phillips's signature

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Dan.

I just ordered my copy of "God's Wisdom in Proverbs" from the Book Depository.

DJP said...

Dude, thank you. I pray it's a help and a blessing to you.

FX Turk said...

One star haters haven't written a book.

DJP said...

Or they have.

(c;

Lynn Dean said...

I've seen some authors use blog posts or a dedicated Facebook fan page to present study guides. One advantage (besides being able to make them available at no cost) is that you can "publish" them piecemeal, which would probably be fine for people using your book in the setting of a class or fellowship group. If your publisher later decides to print a study guide, you'd have it ready. If you use a blog format, you can even embed video.

Robert Holland said...

I second Lynn's comment. I would love a study guide. This book is awesome!

donsands said...

HAPPY REFORMATION DAY!

"Lord Sabaoth, his name,
from age to age the same,
and he must win the battle."


Have a good one in ponering how God's great grace has brought us to Himself, and we are part of all that has happened from Luther onward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRJHKzU_t1M

FX Turk said...

I am theologically opposed to Dan publishing a free study guide. The workman is worth his wages (Or "Do not muzzle the Ox," if you prefer).

Him publishing a Kindle study guide, however, makes sense to me.

Pierre Saikaley said...

Thank You so much for linking the Book Depository.

I've been waiting for this opportunity, and I just ordered GWIP.

So simple, so convenient and so inexpensive!

If I get a second copy for Christmas(it's on my Amazon wishlist) I'm putting one in my church library.

Can't wait to get it.

Blessings.

Sir Brass said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Weaks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Weaks said...

Received "God's Wisdom" today from Amazon and ordered "World Tilting" from The Book Depository shipped free to my daughter and husband in Mexico. I'm waiting for my 1st Kindle (Fire) and I'll order my own.
I started reading GWIP after the kids stopped coming to the door for candy...
I personally am not fond of study guides as I can't quite sync with the author's thoughts and intent.That may say more about me than the purpose and benefit of a study guide.