09 July 2006

God's glorious goodness

Your weekly dose of Spurgeon
posted by Phil Johnson

The PyroManiacs devote space at the beginning of each week to highlights from The Spurgeon Archive.


The following excerpt is from the sermon "A View of God's Glory," a sermon Spurgeon preached very early in his ministry (probably around 1856-57), but it was not published as part of the Metropolitan Pulpit until 1908.

What attribute is God about to show to Moses? His petition is, "Show me thy glory." Will he show him his justice? Will he show him his holiness? Will he show his wrath? Will he show him his power? Will he break yon cedar and show him he is almighty? Will he rend yonder mountain and show him that he can be angry? Will he bring his sins to remembrance, and show that he is omniscient? No; hear the still small voice—"I will make all my goodness pass before thee." Ah! the goodness of God is God's glory. God's greatest glory is that he is good. The brightest gem in the crown of God is his goodness. "I will make all my goodness pass before thee." There is a panorama such as time would not be long enough for you to see.
C. H. Spurgeon


6 comments:

jc said...

nice graphic. how did you make that spurgeon coin?

Frank Martens said...

"Will he show him his justice? Will he show him his holiness? Will he show his wrath? Will he show him his power? Will he break yon cedar and show him he is almighty? Will he rend yonder mountain and show him that he can be angry? Will he bring his sins to remembrance, and show that he is omniscient?"

The funny thing is... God did show Moses all of this and more throughout Moses' lifetime.

Aspiring Girl said...

Restful.

Taliesin said...

Why is it that I read Spurgeon, and have to think, "Why didn't I see that?" He often points out things that are wonderful, and yet so clear in the text, but only after he has pointed them out, at least for me.

Kevin Stilley said...

Thanks for consistently putting out a great blog. I stop by for a visit several times each week and always leave pleased that I spent time here. Blessings, and peace. Kevin.

Patricia said...

Thank you for this. I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that.