15 June 2006

A couple things...

by Phil Johnson

Our friend Kevin D. Hendricks at "Church Marketing Sucks" is now eight posts into his series on Church growth, and he is still dealing with the issue of "numbers" while blithely ignoring the actual problem most critics of contemporary "Church Growth" strategy have complained about: pragmatism.

It's almost as if we never had this conversation.

Meanwhile, here's something closely related to my concerns about pragmatism and the dumbing down, cheapening, and trivializing of our churches in the name of pragmatic populist man-pleasing. It's a fine post by the enigmatic "Dissidens" over at Remonstrans. He introduces us to Reptillia, the "worship leader; shares some thoughts about teaching children about beauty; and reflects on why the typical contemporary evangelical church is utterly absent anything truly glorious these days.

Anyway, I can't write much. It's 9:30 AM PDT as I write this. I'm in an LAX departure lounge about to board a long flight to an undisclosed location. When I get back, I'll tell you where I've been, but I'm clocking out for the weekend.

To keep from posting quickly on top of James Spurgeon's more important post, I'm going to have him post this item for me this afternoon. Hopefully, James or someone will also post the weekly dose of CHS. See you Monday.

Phil's signature

5 comments:

Jamie McBride said...

Now I have the song "Secret Agent Man" playing in my head.

Chris Dean said...

I bet he's going to the Metropolitan Tabernacle for his grooming as Dr Peter Master's eventual successor!

Phil would look great in one of those English gentlemen's perukes (wigs), don't you think? (Come on you Photoshop® geinuses! Let's picture that!)

philness said...

I would like to guess where Phil is going.

Kim said...

Steve:

You took the words out of my mouth, and said it better than I would have.

John Haller said...

My guess is that Phil is secretly an Episcopal bishop and he is on his way to Columbus, OH for the convention.